Saturday, September 24, 2016

Snack Series: Zucchini Butter


Though I would be the last person to talk smack about a good zucchini bread recipe, when it gets to be that time of year where garden-growing friends are trying to foist off watermelon-sized summer squash on all their acquaintances, it’s only a matter of time before all the sugary, oily overhead costs of endless loaves of zucchini bread start to, uh, weigh me down. Sometimes I need a little savory counterpoint. That was my mindset when I came across this zucchini butter recipe on one of my favorite food websites.

This is a great recipe not only because it’s delicious but also because it’s versatile, makes great use of large quantities of zucchini, and requires little more than the vegetable itself to make something spectacular. It’s nice and smooth and garlicky – if you want it to be – and goes well with a variety of flavors.

I particularly like this
  • On Toast (plain or Parmesan cheese toast, as pictured)
  • With Eggs (especially in an egg sandwich! With cheese. Always with cheese.)
  • As a Sandwich Spread with
    • Sausage + Spinach + Dijon Mustard
    • Tomato + Cheese
    • Grilled Cheese

Find the recipe here!  Zucchini Butter Recipe

I use about 3-4 cloves of garlic when I make it, and I like to let the zucchini butter get a bit brown and caramelized.


No comments:

Post a Comment